Adult Stem Cell Therapy
For injured or diseased tissues, adult stem cell therapy is an application of regenerative medicine, and promotes a body’s natural healing and reparative abilities using an individual’s own stem cells. To better understand, stem cells are harvested through collecting blood or bone marrow samples, or by aspirating tissue or fat cells. Cells are then concentrated through a specialized centrifuge, which prepares them for reinjection into the body.
Stem cell therapy advances an individual’s healing by delivering these critical stem cells to damaged tissues in larger numbers than the body could deliver on its own. Thus, treatment is not aimed directly at an individual’s symptoms. Rather, stem cell therapy is part of an integrated approach to treatment, with the goal of restoring degenerated muscle tissues, ligaments, bones, tendons and cartilage.
To stimulate tissues for the stem cell injection, the physician will first inject the targeted area with dextrose. To ensure accurate placement of the stem cell injection, the physician relies upon x-ray guidance. Depending on the condition being treated, patients may receive a series of three injections, spaced 3-5 days apart.
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections
Also providing a regenerative benefit for a wide range of chronic pain conditions, platelet rich plasma, or PRP injections are often mentioned in conjunction with stem cell therapy. Yet, the process of extracting rejuvenated cells for use in stem cell therapy is quite different than that of PRP injections.
Specifically, stem cell therapy involves removing cells from bone marrow or fat tissue, and using them in combination with blood platelets. The cells that are derived from bone marrow are called autologous mesenchymal, and they work to produce cartilage. Thus, these cells prove effective in treating arthritic conditions and sports-related injuries. In turn, the cells taken from fat tissues are used with platelets and injected to promote healing and the regrowth of cartilage in an osteoarthritic joint.
In regards to PRP injections, a physician uses an individual’s own blood to separate platelets in a centrifuge. Once platelets are re-injected into the treatment area, growth factors are released that initiate the healing of tissue.
Delivering ongoing pain management with innovative, non-invasive technologies, Allied Pain & Spine Institute is committed to treating individuals as a whole. With stem cell therapy and PRP injections, we are proud to offer our patients customized options for pain relief, greater function and a higher quality of life.
Regenerative Musculoskeletal Medicine
With the goal of repairing damaged tissues and restoring mobility for a number of pain conditions, regenerative musculoskeletal medicine includes non-invasive, non-surgical medical procedures using new-age diagnostics and therapies. This arena of regenerative medicine expands the scope of treatment for those with limited options. Previously, steroid injections and joint replacement surgery, along with physical rehabilitation were the only treatment methods for osteoarthritis of the knee, for example. Yet, stem cell therapy is now providing a treatment protocol using an individual’s own stem cells to stimulate natural healing and repair.
At Allied Pain & Spine Institute, we stand behind non-surgical treatment and pain management techniques using regenerative musculoskeletal medicine.
Stem cell therapy may be utilized to treat the following conditions, as a non-invasive alternative to surgery:
- Back injury and disc degeneration, as well as the malformation of bone may be treated with regenerative musculoskeletal medicine, including therapies using a patient’s own stem cells. Specific conditions include non-healing fractures, bulging discs, spinal arthritis, spondylolisthesis, spinal stenosis and herniated discs.
- While knee injuries, including Iliotibial Band Syndrome and Meniscus Tear have previously been treated with surgery and/or steroid injections, regenerative musculoskeletal medicine using stem cell therapy and PRP injections promotes healing and tissue repair, along with bone and cartilage regrowth and ligament repair. This is a promising solution for those wanting to avoid the side effects associated with steroid injections, as well as surgery.
- Sacroiliac Joint Pain
- Low back injuries, prior surgery, childbirth and other conditions may contribute to sacroiliac (SI) joint pain in the hip and loss of mobility. Regenerative medicine using stem cell therapy is a welcome treatment for those hoping to avoid surgery.
- Individuals suffering from hip pain related to avascular necrosis, hip arthritis, SI joint pain, labrum tears, tendonitis and pain or inflammation from a previous surgery can benefit from the painless alternative of stem cell therapy or PRP injections.
- Regenerative Musculoskeletal Medicine helps restore injured or damaged tissues, including arthritis and rotator cuff tears in the shoulder.
- Degenerated tissue from elbow conditions such as Lateral Epicondylitis and Golfer’s Elbow can be restored and rebuilt with innovative stem cell therapy or PRP injections as part of a regenerative musculoskeletal protocol. Underlying causes of a patient’s pain are treated—not only the symptoms associated with their pain.
- Hand and Wrist
- For individuals with hand or wrist pain due to arthritis, carpel tunnel syndrome or tendonitis, innovative treatments using stem cell therapy or PRP injections are an effective alternative to conventional methods and surgery.
- Foot and Ankle
- A number of foot and ankle conditions, whether due to injury, overuse or planter fasciitis can be treated using the revolutionary alternative of regenerative musculoskeletal medicine in which stem cell therapy or PRP injections are used to strengthen and rebuild tissues.
With the ability to harness the body’s natural ability to heal and repair, regenerative musculoskeletal medicine utilizing adult stem cell therapy and PRP injections is a remarkable and promising shift away from surgical methods and long physical recoveries.
While it often takes a few months to experience the full range of benefits from stem cell therapy, many patients respond after one treatment. Even so, with painless, invasive treatments and no risk of allergic reaction, regenerative musculoskeletal medicine is a welcome alternative for rebuilding and restoring numerous conditions involving damaged tissues, bones, tendons and cartilage.
At Allied Pain & Spine Institute, our caring and compassionate team welcomes your call if you are suffering from chronic pain, and you’d like to avoid steroid or cortisone injections, as well as invasive surgery. With the focused attention that you need and deserve, our esteemed physicians will customize your treatment, with a focus on relieving your pain and maximizing your quality of life. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.